Open Call for Entries : February Gallery Exhibit
Entry Deadline: January 7
Show: February 2 – March 3
Bay Area artists are invited to submit up to 3 entries to our February Gallery exhibition, Climate Change: Protecting Mother Earth
SFWA is seeking artwork from all Bay Area artists that reflects and celebrates the belief that Mother Earth is a living system and that as human beings we must be critically aware of our role in keeping her healthy and safe. The daunting challenges of climate change require increased awareness, imagination, and creativity.
JUROR: Danielle Siembieda, Art and Sustainability Expert, Siembieda & Assoicates
FEES: Entry fee is $40 ($30 for SFWA Members) for up to 3 entries. Members will receive a discount code by email. Fees must be paid online at the time of submission. Fee payment does not guarantee that any/all artworks submitted for jurying will be included in this exhibition.
GALLERY COMMISSION: THE SFWA Gallery retains a 35% commission on all work sold.
SUBMISSIONS: 12/10 – 1/7
No work submitted outside of that period will be considered.
All submissions must be done online through our Smarter Entry portal.
NOTIFICATION*: Email by Friday, 1/14. If you do not see the email from SFWA, look in your spam folder. If nothing shows, contact SFWA asap: 415-566-8550 or email@example.com
ART DROP OFF: Friday, February 3rd, from 11:30 am – 3:00 pm
Saturday, February 4th, from 11:30 am – 3:00 pm
ART PICK-UP: Friday, March 3rd & Saturday, March 4th, 11:30am – 3pm
EXHIBITION: February 7 – March 3, 2023
RECEPTION: Saturday, February 11, 2:00 – 4:00 pm
WALL ART SIZE LIMIT: Maximum width for show submissions is 40 inches INCLUDING FRAME. *Contact the gallery to request an exception for the width limit.
REQUIREMENTS FOR 3D ARTWORK:
- Standing sculpture must have a flat base & fit securely onto a 16×16″ pedestal base.
- Bas-relief works need to be gallery-ready for installation
- For free-standing sculpture, contact the gallery prior to submission
- Fragile or unstable pieces will not be accepted at gallery receiving
HANGING REQUIREMENT: All artwork must be ready to install with hanging wire. The wire should be low enough to be hung without the hanging hook showing above the frame, and just loose enough for the wire to be pulled over the hook. (No more than 1/3 of the way down the back of the piece.) NO SAWTOOTH HANGERS WILL BE ACCEPTED! Note: any work that requires special installation (e.g., some wood or metal prints) must have gallery approval in advance. Please review the Hanging Instructions and the Wall Art Receiving Check List
LIABILITY: SFWA cannot accept responsibility for damage incurred to art that is vulnerable or fragile (i.e. unprotected photographs; prints on metal, wood or acrylic; or other specialty art.)
PRICING: It is important to price your artwork appropriately; prices that are too high or too low impact the credibility of our gallery and the artist. There are many articles on pricing your art posted online. ALL SUBMITTED WORK MUST BE FOR SALE.
IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ:
1. Once the Submission Deadline has passed, you will not be able to adjust artwork title, medium, or price by contacting SFWA. Give yourself time to think it through, or get advice, especially on the price, before the deadline. If your normal medium is not listed, please let us know and we will add it in as a category.
2. For complex or special art processes: Use the ‘Notes’ section in the submission form to describe unusual or complex process, techniques, or materials used in your artwork. This aids the gallery staff in discussing and selling your work. Mixed media and encaustic artworks, for example, may benefit from more description of their process.
3. Per 1 and 2 above, the title, size including frame, and description will be used for the posting of your accepted work in the Online Shop. Please use the Notes section in the submission form to explain what you want online viewers to see.
4. Acceptance by the juror does not guarantee acceptance by the gallery. Please be sure to read the HANGING INSTRUCTIONS and the Wall Art Receiving Check List before bringing art to the gallery.